Briars Homebirth

We had planned on having a homebirth for baby number 2 before I even became pregnant. With my son I had him drug free at a birthing center with a midwife and it was a great experience. The only thing we would change is having to leave the house so we knew homebirth would be perfect for us.

My contractions started on Monday evening at 7:30pm they lasted all night and by 2am I had to wake up and take a shower and get on my birthing ball. I made myself some oatmeal and by 6am I called my midwife and she headed to the house. When she arrived I was excited and ready to be checked for dilation. Up to this point I had not been. She checked me vaginally and I was only 2cm dilated and you have to make it to 10cm before you can push and have your baby. So I was pretty disappointed and a little embarrassed. My husband had stayed home thinking “this is it”. My midwives told me to keep tracking contractions and to keep them updated. I told my husband to go to work and he said he would just work a half day until 12pm. It was now around 7am.

So now I was home having contractions with my 3.5 year old son. I made a quick breakfast and ran some bath water. Then put on a show for him. I labored in the living room mostly but I took 2-3 hot baths and one shower. Water always helps me deal with contractions. So around 10am I’m kind of realizing the contractions are not slowing down. I text my midwife and tell her these feel stronger and more intense. I called my husband at 11am and told him I NEEDED him home.

At this point I can’t talk through contractions and I have to really focus to breath and not scream in pain. We needed lunch and a few things at the store so Toby asked if I thought he had time to do that before coming home and I said yes. Lol oh alonna. At this point my mkdwofe sent over the doula to come sit with me so I wasn’t alone. My midwife was actually at another birth! So now its like 12:50 and my husband pulls in with our cheeseburgers in tow! He gives me my food and I try and scarf it down between contractions. Mind you I am half naked on our couch on my side because I could not sit on my botton! So toby is getting our sons food set up and I ask if he can please draw me another bath.

I get in and tell him he needs to call the midwife now! He calls and as he finishes his sentence she says I’m in your driveway! Praise be! When he told me she was here my whole body relaxed. She came in and the doula pulled in right behind her, its around 1:15pm They dropped there bags put on gloves and starting helping me. I was having contractions on top of each other and had the urge to push. It hurt extremely bad at this point I was totally taken over by the pain now.

I start pushing and my midwife gets in the tub with me!! Lol she is encouraging me to open my legs just a little more as I notice my knees are touching! Haha I was like “no”. But eventually I get in a more optimal position. I push 1 time and my water breaks push 2 and I can feel her head then my doula finds Toby who thought we had a couple hours left and is like she’s pushing get in here! I think I pushed 2 more times and she was out. 5lbs 8oz wasn’t too hard to deliver. She was TINY. And a girl!! We waited to find out the gender and it was amazing.

I passed the placenta and had no tearing, no stitches, and no extreme hemorrhaging. This birth was super quick and not as intense as with my first. She nursed almost immediately and is so so sweet. I will say the after birth contractions almost had me in tears from the pain. We never had time to get the birthing pool out and filled I had her in our regular bathtub. That was not the plan but still cool. If you are thinking of trying a homebirth. I recommend it. Research it, look up youtube videos, and documentaries, statistics, and highly recommended midwives in your area. This was my dream birth and something I will cherish forever.

Details: I know some people are curious on all the details of having a midwife and natural home birth. Below are some extra things I have not mentioned.

1. No I didn’t have any medication, oxygen, IVs, or monitors.

2. For afterbirth pains I took ibuprofen. This lasted about 5 days.

3. I had no tearing or ripping so I didn’t need stitches.

4. I saved my placenta this time to use for placenta smoothies. (Yes to eat). Look up the benefits of eating your placenta.

5. I breastfed immediately after birth, this helps with contracting your uterus down and feeding/bonding with baby.

6. My midwives stayed about 3 hours after to make sure we were set up and comfortable. Then back the next day, then 1 week PP, 2 weeks PP, and 4 and 6 weeks PP.

7. If I had to do it again I would do it the same! And as far as financial it was the same price as a hospital or birth center birth would have been. And in my opinion better more specialized care.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.